LAB Meeting Slovakia 2015
The second Slovakian LAB meeting was held at the Slovak Governance Institute in October 2015 in Bratislava.
The meeting introduced STYLE project and presented preliminary findings from research tasks in WP4 and WP5 to practitioners and academics working on labour market issues and youth involvement. Invitations were sent beyond the LAB members (Profesia and CELSI) and the meeting was attended by officers from the Ministry of Labour, Social Affairs and Family and the Ministry of Education, youth organization Iuventa, government-affiliated Institute for Research of Work and Family, the Institute for Employment as well as SGI colleagues not working on STYLE.
The aim of the meeting was to get feedback on our work and to incite discussion about the issue of youth employment and unemployment from policy innovation perspective (Task 4.1 and 4.2) and student labour market perspective (Task 5.3). The meeting concluded on the importance of communicating research findings to decision-makers and defined areas of possible cooperation in policy research related to youth.
Main issues of debate
- Palenik (Institute for Employment) from Institute for Employment commented on the reasons why the reform of VET in Slovakia toward dual education system has not been very successful and mentioned financial disincentives to joining the dual education stream of the system
- Veberova (Iuventa) asked whether the findings will be communicated to decision-makers as it would be very useful if policy-makers receive feedback from different angles and from different stakeholders
- Several attendees highlighted possible limitations with the data and asked whether we could link vacancy data to CV data to deal with some of the problems (this is unfortunately not possible)
- Joint discussion
- Importance of informal and non-formal learning for skill development of youth and ways to communicate this to employers was discussed
- Potential for cooperation on the topic of second chance education and informal learning of disadvantaged youth with Iuventa was discussed
- Cooperation with Profesia in promoting findings from Task 5.3 was agreed; we will prepare joint press release on the main findings
SGI asked Profesia to assist us in promoting online questionnaire about returnees (Task 6.1) among their website visitors
Schedule of LAB 2015 in Slovakia
|14:00 – 14:30||Občerstvenie|
|14:30 – 14:40||Lucia Mýtna Kureková||Predstavenie projektu STYLE a jeho cieľov|
|14:40 – 15:00||Marcela Veselková||Zamestnanosť mladých: inovácie vo verejnej politike|
|15:00 – 15:20||Lucia Mýtna Kureková a Zuzana Žilinčíková||Nízko-kvalifikovaný trh práce a študentský trh práce: čo očakávajú zamestnávatelia na Slovensku|
|15:20 – 16:00||Záver a diskusia|
The first Solvakian LAB meeting was reported here: https://www.style-research.eu/2015/04/lab-meeting-bratislava/